As someone who has grown up surrounded by animals my entire life, I could never imagine using a product tested on rabbits, rats, or any other living creature. Many major beauty and cosmetics brands, however, do in fact test on animals, and this brutality must be stopped and replaced with a cruelty-free approach.
To aid this endeavor, I’ve listed 10 of my favorite vegan beauty products that Zeitgeist readers are sure to love. It’s important for large and small beauty companies alike to recognize that being cruelty-free and practical are not mutually exclusive ideas. Brands can certainly be both. Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics, for example, never tests on animals, and the company makes some of the best lip pencils available on the market.
1) Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics: Cosmetic Color Pencils ($16)
2) Elf Cosmetics: Sweat Resistant Mascara & Brow Duo ($6)
3) Dermalogica: Protection SPF 50 Sport Sunscreen ($35)
4) NYX Cosmetics: Butter Gloss ($5)
5) Tom’s of Maine: Moisturizing Lip Balm ($11.36)
6) Aveda: Shampure Dry Shampoo ($31)
7) Elf Cosmetics: Oil Free Flawless Finish Foundation
8) Aveda: Botanical Kinetics Energizing Eye Cream ($36)
9) Kat Von D: Metal Crush Eye Shadow ($21)
10) Kat Von D: Everlasting Liquid Lipstick ($20)